It may not be spectacular...but it promises to be hilarious!

It may not be spectacular...but it promises to be hilarious!

Saturday 29 March 2014

Day One: 20mins yoga, Headstand and a 1 mile run in 9 minutes

The training has started, and about time too! After a good, motivational speech from a close, family, friend, Darren, who told Ben that if he doesn't pull out of this event, he is definitely going to die, I decided to lead by example and hope that Ben would follow. The kids started copying first...







I have been doing the intermittent fasting diet for about a month or so now, as suggested by Cord Barham. Over the first few days I tried to eat as much as I could within the 8 hour eating window, to ease the anticipated, hunger of the 16 fasting hours. That weekend I lost 8lbs. I am lactose intolerant and struggle to process some other sugars, which sometimes leads to low blood pressure, water retention and swelling up... amongst other symptoms, so I assume that the diet had begun to regulate my sugar levels, and I must have lost some sort of water that I was perhaps retaining...I don’t know, but I lost 8lbs. 

The following weeks, I struggled to stay within the time frames, snacking when I shouldn't and drinking lemsips in my fasting times. I didn't track my weight very rigidly during this time, and I didn't do any exercise. 



Since the 'Darren Talk of Doom' I have stuck to the fasting really well. My appetite has dramatically decreased, and I do not feel the need to snack. My entire mind-set about food has changed.

In the past, I would think of a nice food, and I would plan to buy it and eat it, while sat down on the sofa, in the evening. I have lost this relationship with food, and I now think, "Go and buy it and eat it now". It is amazing how that doesn't have the same emotional connection. This has led to me eating foods that I see as filling, only when I am hungry, and consequently, I am not snacking on comfort foods. I am still eating the foods I enjoy, without counting the calories or avoiding certain food groups, but I am not binge eating, which I had originally planned to do, within my 8 hour window.

So, this week, I have been doing yoga and sticking to the intermittent fasting times. In the morning, I have been doing 5-10 minutes of yoga. A sun salutation and a headstand for a minute or two. I have then waiting until 10.00hrs to have ‘breakfast’. This is usually in the form of a packed lunch, or a light dinner. I think eat what I want and drink what I want, at the times that I feel hungry. I have my evening meal at around 17.00hrs and my last cup of ‘proper’ Yorkshire tea… (sorry Lancashire I know I am a traitor), then I stick to Clipper Green tea, as this is by far, my favourite. I like the full range of herbal teas, and they are supposed to help with weight loss and all sorts of other health benefits.


I have been doing the bulk of my exercise in the evening and Ben has started to join me. I have been doing about an hour of yoga each night. Ben decided to join me, and he has already started to see results! 




I do believe in that 'muscle memory' business...but I don't know how long that takes...



This was when we first met, 6 years ago. Tonight Ben seems to have got the fitness bug again. He cannot do things by halves, so maybe this is the start of something...


The kids are being supportive, of course, and we spent the day in the park, walking, climbing and kite flying...


I am really enjoying the outdoors and the fresh air recently, Ben isn't a massive fan, the weekend is for chilling out in his opinion, but I know that the children cannot bounce of the walls if there are no walls to bounce off, so we decided to get them out, in the park, and get active. 

After just a few days of yoga, Ben managed to gain some perspective, by turning things upside down for a while...


This is a huge achievement for someone that couldn't touch their toes a few days ago, and although there is still a long way to go, being able to see improvements does motivate and inspire us. So much so, that Ben went for a run after his yoga session tonight. He managed just under a mile in 9 minutes, and I am guessing Mo Farah isn't worried, but it is a start and we all have to start somewhere. 


He looked great when he got home... well, maybe not great...or fresh...but more...wrung out like a sponge. Still, day one...done. 

So what better way to wind down...but a face mask and a hot bath...












No comments:

Post a Comment